SPORTSFISH         FORUMS         FISHING         BOATING         GALLERY         LIBRARY         DIRECTORY     
 Fish Home : Welcome to the Sportsfish Network

All Forums
 Welcome to Sportsfish Forums
 FlyChat
 Tying Billfish Flies...
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

I_smell_FISH
Marlin

Australia
585 Posts

Member No: #1325

Posted - 26 Apr 2002 :  9:01:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit I_smell_FISH's Homepage  Click to see I_smell_FISH's MSN Messenger address Send I_smell_FISH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone...

Ive decided to tie up a few flies for billfish as buying the ones I want is more than a tad expensive

Im tying them as tube flies based on Bob and Kate Howe flashy proflies... Ive tried to tie them previously, but got in a bit of a mess with proportions and epoxy... anyone have any tips when tying billfish flies?

Wesley Pang
Yellowfin

Australia
126 Posts

Member No: #134

Posted - 27 Apr 2002 :  07:05:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wesley Pang's Homepage Send Wesley Pang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dennis,

I learn to tie tube Flash Profile Fly(FPF) for a very good flytyer mate.

I use a small section of cloths hanger wire for my tube fly attachement. One end is bent around. This end if clamped in the vice. I slip the small section of tube on the attachement and tie a blob of thread in front of the tube to keep it in place.

I got my tube from an other mate who got it from Peter Pakula.

Tie in the streamer hair on both sides of the tube, building up the profile. For Sailfish about 6 inches. After you have you colors and profile ready, I tie in the wide shimmerflash for the lateral line and to fill in the gap in the middle of the fly.

Checkout the tying instruction
http://www.eastern-sierra.com/classic_anglers/fw_fpf.htm

The instruction to tie a FPF where in an copy of "Fishing World". It may be worth chasing up a copy.

Wes

Go to Top of Page

I_smell_FISH
Marlin

Australia
585 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2002 :  11:03:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit I_smell_FISH's Homepage  Click to see I_smell_FISH's MSN Messenger address Send I_smell_FISH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for that, i'll chase up the mag and have checked out your link

Go to Top of Page

SailfishSearcher
Mackeral

Australia
54 Posts

Member No: #1376

Posted - 27 Apr 2002 :  1:00:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit SailfishSearcher's Homepage Send SailfishSearcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gday mate,

When using devcon epoxy mate definately wet your fingers. Well i should say make them a little damp pal! This will help! I have been testing billfish flies with circle hooks mate and have caught 4 billfish on fly out of 7. I think that is pretty good odds and now just trying to experiment with flies.

Good luck mate and tight lines!

Go to Top of Page

SailfishSearcher
Mackeral

Australia
54 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2002 :  1:03:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit SailfishSearcher's Homepage Send SailfishSearcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh also make sure when you are tying the fly on the front hook, (that is if you are not trying a tube fly and tying the material directly to the hook) ensure that you build the fly on top of the hook and dont put any material underneath the hook as you need as much of that hook exposed to allow for a higher rate of hook ups! cheers mate

Go to Top of Page

I_smell_FISH
Marlin

Australia
585 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2002 :  4:07:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit I_smell_FISH's Homepage  Click to see I_smell_FISH's MSN Messenger address Send I_smell_FISH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that tip with epoxy sailfishsearcher

I have a mastermarlin flashy profile that was lent to me by a mate and plan to compy it. Its tied on the tube itself and hooks are added later... It might be easier for me to tie. I had a go at it previously, but rushed it. Then the epoxy on it came out all wrong needless to say it was a BIG mess but was perfect before i added Epoxy to finish it.

Do you guys use much epoxy on your billfish flies? I mean, ordinarily its a sinch to use on smaller flies, but on these big ones its much harder (well for me anyway. I know that the pros use turning rails to get it right....I dont have one of these though so ill have to use a different method... How do you guys do it?..... BTW nice fly sailfishsearcher Did you tie it? not a bad hookup rate on the bills either

Go to Top of Page

SailfishSearcher
Mackeral

Australia
54 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2002 :  4:19:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit SailfishSearcher's Homepage Send SailfishSearcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gday I SMELL FISH!

Well mate that is great that you have got a fly to go off mate but really, it is better if someone showed you as there are many steps to get to that flashy profile fly that was given to you. But if you are a fly tier anyway, it should make that tad easier.

With tube flies they are great but a small tip is when you are tying the material to your tubing, I take about 45 to 50 minutes to make one good quality flashy profile marlin fly as I also epoxy the tying I have done in certain stages and let it dry off then start again. This stops the fly from exploding to peices when a sailfish or marlin eats the fly. I have found my flies last alot longer doing it this way. ** Just a small hint that may help **!!!

But mate remember the idea for these flashy profile flies is to use the epoxy to its advantage meaning less material and using the epoxy to flair the material to give it false bulky looking fly. The epoxy works well, I have found, when it has sat for about a minute! But you need to work quick and with damp fingers. IF you want me to send you some flies mate, not a prob pal! For free to clarify!!

Alot of fly fishos use devcon epoxy cos it works well! i have also used Silicon and that is a goodie for sailfish flies. With the rotating wheel, it gives that professional smooth finish that is essential when selling flies in a tackle store. But if you dont have that mate, that is fine, as I dont have one and all i do is use the epoxy when it is a little gooey and that does the job.

That fly that I posted is not one I made but splitting image. I wish i had digi camera but not yet.

P.S: I have also casted a marlin fly to barra at Silver Plains near Weipa and caught 4 barras in 20 minutes the biggest being 92cm when lures where not working and I got the shits and just started casting a big marlin fly out. It was incredible! Have pics but not digi ones. And mate, they definately sucked the fly down further than I thought.

But if you have any other questions feel free to do email me ate!

Cheers

Sailfish Searcher!!

Edited by - SailfishSearcher on 27 Apr 2002 4:26:45 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sportsfish Australia © Sportsfish Australia 2000 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000