Incorrect integer value: '' for column 'id' at row 1
     SPORTSFISH         FORUMS         FISHING         BOATING         GALLERY         LIBRARY         DIRECTORY     
 Fish Home : Welcome to the Sportsfish Network

All Forums
 General Fishing
 Electronics & Electrics
 Wiring a tinnie
Author  Topic Next Topic  

masseydoug
Pilchard

Australia
2 Posts

Member No: #14939

Posted - 09 Jul 2013 :  5:13:26 PM  Show Profile Send masseydoug a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any advice on how to wire a tiinie from scratch, any books on the subject seem to be written by sparkies or professors of OHMS LAW not for amateurs like me. Nav lights and sounder are all that I need to run.

grex
Sailfish

Australia
215 Posts

Member No: #5979

Posted - 11 Jul 2013 :  09:50:08 AM  Show Profile Send grex a Private Message  Reply with Quote

There is no real rocket science to the wireing , at the risk of over simplifying it's basically connecting the positive & negative from the battery to the divices.

Do you have a Bias or Whitworth catelog?? They are very handy to select the components required

The above companies only sell components which are suitable for marine use. Do not purchase electrical components from a hardware store.

Seperate switches can be purchased but a 4 switch pannel would be better , one for the nav lights , one for the anchor light & 2 spare.
The sounder can be wired direct via the appropiate fuse.

A few other components , fuses , cable, connectors for the cable ends & terminal block for the neg connection.

DO NOT use the boat as the earth.
Run the neg from the battery to the terminal block , connect all neg from the devices to this block.

Run the positive via a fuse from the battery to the switch pannel then each positive wire from the devices is fitted to a switch , again via a seperate fuse for that device.

Where are you located , perhaps there is a Sportsfish member in your area who could visit & provide further assistance.

Geoff
Go to Top of Page

masseydoug
Pilchard

Australia
2 Posts

Member No: #14939

Posted - 12 Jul 2013 :  5:23:33 PM  Show Profile Send masseydoug a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many thanks Geoff I bought some bits and pieces today from Whitworth and Biasboating including battery, 4 and 6mm wire, ring terminals (3/4mm) and a 6 gang switch which I intend to mount on the ancient dash. I have existing port and starboard lights to mount but having removed the antique windscreen which had a broken white light on a pole. I am wondering how to comply with QLD regulations with the white light as most of the fold away allround white lights would be less than 1 metre above the others just below the gunnels. I guess the only other thing to buy is connectors for the battery and a fuse for the +ve side.I live on the Goldie and thanks again for your reply!!
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sportsfish Australia © Sportsfish Australia 2000 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000