SPORTSFISH         FORUMS         FISHING         BOATING         GALLERY         LIBRARY         DIRECTORY     
 Fish Home : Welcome to the Sportsfish Network

All Forums
 Welcome to Sportsfish Forums
 Bluewater-chat
 Mackerel rigs/trolling/lures
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gilly001
Pilchard

Australia
1 Posts

Member No: #11998

Posted - 08 Sep 2007 :  10:45:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gilly001's Homepage Send Gilly001 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey
I live in cooktown and just went fishing 2day and caught a few small mackerel, and almost caught a giant! (well, for me anyways, it would have been about 10kg) I only have a light outfit, with a lure on a steel trace, a sinker placed above the swivel on a 20 pound line. If i'd have a suitable tackle kit for mackerel, can some one please make a recommendation on line, lures and rigs please. I have browsed the sight and I cant choose out of the Mackerel Mauler, red heads (which i think i have) rapalas (x-rap), halcos (laser pro), rmg 150 scorpian, whitebody, blue pilly deep runner, c-lures headmaster, reidy's big boss, mack magnets, lively lures arafura barra, big metal lures or raiders. i also can't decide on which colour i should use (I thinkthat silver works best)if someone could help with that. Thank-you. For anyone who is bothered to read to this point, you must be helpful! lol. Anyways, i can't wait to go out and catch something big!

Are there any experienced suicide bombers?

dicko888
Salmon

Australia
31 Posts

Member No: #10963

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  12:34:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit dicko888's Homepage Send dicko888 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mate i'm also a fellow North Queenslander living in sunny Townsville and have spent a bit of time targeting big spanish mackeral. Depending on the time of year different tactics apply. During the winter months the mackeral tend to be not as deep due to the cooler water so I troll RMG scorpions and Reedy Big Boss. Both lures run at about maximum of 5m depth and tend to work well. I think the best colours are silver, blue. Trolling at a speed of 3-5 knots is good too. Also try wolf hering and gar fish on a chin guard which can be purchased from any good tackle store but it is imperative you have the hooks as sharp as possible as this is the biggest factor I found in whether or not a mackeral throws the hooks or not. Ensure you have about a metre of 60-80 lb leader and 30cm of 40-80 lb wire trace. Wire is important. Anything bigger than 6 kg line will be fine but careful on the drag. After a big mackeral does 1-3 big runs they have just about expended every bit of energy they have and come in most times without a drama.

Now is a good month to chase that elusive big spaniard as they congregate at local reefs to breed. During summer try trolling on a down rigger or RMG crazy deep 8m lures as the mackeral are a bit deeper chasing that cooler water. Try also anchoring up, setting a burley trail with crushed pilchard and tuna oil and floating a pilchard, garfish or live bait about 1-2m under a balloon and approx 20-50m behind the boat. Set the drag to light and wait!

Lastly, find those shoaly rubbly areas off the coast and look for the bait schools on your sounder. From there it's a matter of trying the above techniques until one succeeds.

Good Luck
Dicko

Also, I havent tried much high speed jigging for mackeral so no advice there. Tight lines

Level Trowl!

Edited by - dicko888 on 10 Sep 2007 12:39:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

HookedOnTackle
Sailfish

Australia
226 Posts

Member No: #10669

Posted - 18 Sep 2007 :  11:29:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit HookedOnTackle's Homepage  Click to see HookedOnTackle's MSN Messenger address Send HookedOnTackle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a side point, mackerel can't adjust the size of their pupil so based on the word of others, trolling shallow works best early in the day and then as the sun rises they go deeper to reduce the light. With less light in winter, they would be a little higher in the water.

Born to fish.
Go to Top of Page

dicko888
Salmon

Australia
31 Posts

Member No: #10963

Posted - 19 Sep 2007 :  10:49:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit dicko888's Homepage Send dicko888 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HookedOnTackle,

Good point and i'm interested to find out more. I have always been told that mackeral were influenced by water temp but you're statement makes alot of sense thinking back to some of the hookups I have had and what time of the day they were.

Dicko

Level Trowl!
Go to Top of Page

andybarra302
Pilchard

Australia
5 Posts

Member No: #12104

Posted - 13 Oct 2007 :  9:33:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit andybarra302's Homepage  Click to see andybarra302's MSN Messenger address Send andybarra302 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey
i live in mackay and im interested in the topic of mackeral as i have just recently been out to the islands. it was exciting as we landed 7 good size spotted mackeral and this was trolling halcos Laser pros. these lures are a good all year round mackeral lure and the colour i best recomond is red and white as i have had most of my sucess with this colour. good luck all you fisho addicts out there as for me i think im OFF FISHING YET AGAIN

amilwain
Go to Top of Page

cmj
Mackeral

Australia
56 Posts

Member No: #8413

Posted - 14 Oct 2007 :  3:06:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit cmj's Homepage Send cmj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gilly,

We went to Cape York in March last year with a bunch of guys off here and we found some larger varieties of the Spanish variety. My chosen weapon was a Custom Millerods XH Jigstick with Spiralwrap Sic Guides, reel is a Shimano Tyrnos TY30 and spooled with 90lb fins braid.

We had a lot of success on the Mackeral Maulers and I seem to recall the lure in the fish's mouth was a Laser Pro.

Here's a few pics of the beast and the unsuspecting Spaniard

Insert Image:

18.4 KB
Some load on it.
Insert Image:

22.36 KB
Reel bolted on.
Insert Image:

18.74 KB
The classy "Bling"
Insert Image:

19.24 KB
The specs.
Insert Image:

39.03 KB
The Offender. 1.5m long and he fed 18 that night.

This will stop most, I unfortunately didnt get a big doggie but I reckon it probably would have stopped one.

Cheers,
Craig.
Go to Top of Page

punkin
Yakka

Australia
8582 Posts

Member No: #1109

Posted - 14 Oct 2007 :  5:28:55 PM  Show Profile Send punkin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Might want to pass onto Mr Miller that Calstar don't allow their name to be reproduced on the custom blanks. Tried to get Mudhole to print a sticker for my GF, but they refused.

Punkin

Cry me an ocean, you ugly rat of a thing...

while you boys are doing things tommorow i will be out on the beach targeting plastics with perch

you are a peanut that is passionate about what you can afford

Never respond to clinical insanity - chances are you cannot help, and you risk a life-long relationship
quote:
Originally posted by Dingo

I agree with the pelicans,

Go to Top of Page

Stinger
Yellowfin

Australia
161 Posts

Member No: #716

Posted - 15 Oct 2007 :  12:36:34 PM  Show Profile Send Stinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
G'Day boys, what is the benefit in using spiral bound guides as opposed to all on top? Is it to do with keeping the line clear of the blank when loaded up?

Stinger
Go to Top of Page

cmj
Mackeral

Australia
56 Posts

Member No: #8413

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  3:43:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit cmj's Homepage Send cmj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Punkin,
Probably my bad use of the English language. It is a Standard Calstar blank but when I refer to "Custom" I was referring that it was custom made for "me". If you look closely the actual Blank No. has been labelled on the rod, so he Ian hiding anything. Not that it was a "Customised Blank". Apologies for confusion.

Stinger,
To answer your question, it is two-fold.
Firstly when you have an overhead setup and a fairly flexible rod, you need a bunch of guides to keep the line off the braid. This spiralwrap arrangement reduces the number of guides, hence an overall weight reduction in the finished product.
Secondly, When under load the line coming off the underside of the rod greatly decreases the tortional forces in your hand or on your gimbal belt. The pic with it loaded up was taken with right hand on camera and left hand below the reel and near zero tortional forces on my hand.

Cheers,
Craig.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sportsfish Australia © Sportsfish Australia 2000 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000