Incorrect integer value: '' for column 'id' at row 1
     SPORTSFISH         FORUMS         FISHING         BOATING         GALLERY         LIBRARY         DIRECTORY     
 Fish Home : Welcome to the Sportsfish Network

All Forums
 Sportsfish Notice Board
 Political Fishing Issues
 Hawkesbury River sewerage discharge.
Author  Topic Next Topic  

HoundDog
Salmon

Australia
45 Posts

Member No: #5342

Posted - 21 Apr 2005 :  06:09:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit HoundDog's Homepage Send HoundDog a Private Message
While listening to “Hi Tide” on radio 2KY last weekend, and I was concerned to hear that Sydney Water has a proposal to put a sewerage discharge outflow pipe into the Hawkesbury River at the road bridge at Brooklyn. So I did a search on the Sydney Water website and found this document, “Description of the Proposal for the Brooklyn/Dangar Island Sewerage Scheme EIS.”
See:
HERE
Part of this document reads:
“4.2.6 Effluent Management
Disinfected effluent from the STP will be continuously discharged through a diffuser into a deep section of the south bank of the Hawkesbury River near the Road Bridge. The depth of the water close to the bank at this location is 21 metres, and the diffuser for effluent release will be at a depth of 7 metres.”

The Hawkesbury has enough pollution in it already and does not need anymore. What does everyone think of this proposal for a popular fishing spot like Hawkesbury River at the Brooklyn road bridge?

HoundDog

Just sorted the link, Dingo

Edited by - Dingo on 01 Jul 2005 5:01:58 PM

Sandfly 1
Mackeral

Australia
91 Posts

Member No: #8410

Posted - 19 May 2005 :  9:57:34 PM  Show Profile Send Sandfly 1 a Private Message
Its certainl a head banging exercise when it comes to waste disposal. Ever since the settlement of the outter Sydney Basin all the rivers , Hawsbury, Georges, Parammatta have been used by all branchs of governemnt and industry to disopse of their waste.

At low tide along any one of the drainage networks, which our rivers are really used for, you can see pipes of all descriptions running into them no natter where you are. Unfortnatually it is a common train of thought given to us by our fore fathers "that out of sight out of mind". Well that will no longer surfice as a solution that should have been solved decades back. Some years back a Water Board engineer as they were known then came up with a full costed and surveyed plan to pipe using gravity and minimal pumping waste water from Newcastle and Sydney into the wetern plains for irrigation. The most obvious reason this didn't get off the ground was that the pollies had no land holding along his propsed route unlike the Sydney to Newacastle Freeway. The question reamins how many outlets are actually going into the river systems at this moment, don't be alarmed if no one call put a figure on it not even the so called controlling bodies. It's laughable when you pull up at a river cruise comfort stop up river from Broklyn and go ashore to use the facilities and on your return to the cruise witness your efforts bubling to the surface alongside the boat.

For a state that should be awash with money from GST and other hidden taxes there shouldn't be a problem we can't fix if we put our thinking caps on
Go to Top of Page

blacktruck
Salmon

Australia
18 Posts

Member No: #6781

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  12:00:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit blacktruck's Homepage Send blacktruck a Private Message
I hate to tell you but at least 85% of hawkesbury/nepean rivers flow is outflow from somewhere.If it all stopped tomorrow the river would stop flowing in about a week to 2 weeks.

I wouldn,t it may hurt
Go to Top of Page

Matt
Toadfish

Australia
4788 Posts

Member No: #362

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  12:50:36 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Matt's MSN Messenger address Send Matt a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by blacktruck

I hate to tell you but at least 85% of hawkesbury/nepean rivers flow is outflow from somewhere.If it all stopped tomorrow the river would stop flowing in about a week to 2 weeks.

Care to share where you came up with this figure and information? The Hawkesbury/Nepean flowed fine enough before the area was settled so how does the outflow now constitute 85% of its flow? Just curious?

Cheers
Windy

The Windy One
www.ausbream.com.au
Go to Top of Page

blacktruck
Salmon

Australia
18 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  9:41:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit blacktruck's Homepage Send blacktruck a Private Message
Yes 217 years a go it did flow fine.Now we have dams and weirs or mining in the upper reaches of the nepean.As part of a river wise group we carried out a study over 2 years and they were the findings.

I wouldn,t it may hurt
Go to Top of Page

Matt
Toadfish

Australia
4788 Posts

Member No: #362

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  09:09:47 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Matt's MSN Messenger address Send Matt a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by blacktruck

Yes 217 years a go it did flow fine.Now we have dams and weirs or mining in the upper reaches of the nepean.As part of a river wise group we carried out a study over 2 years and they were the findings.

Cool Like I said, was just curious

Cheers
Windy

The Windy One
www.ausbream.com.au
Go to Top of Page

HoundDog
Salmon

Australia
45 Posts

Member No: #5342

Posted - 27 May 2005 :  4:29:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit HoundDog's Homepage Send HoundDog a Private Message
What outflows are we talking about here, Stormwater outflows? or sewerage outflows? I havent seen any flow in the upper Nepean, except after a lot of rain. Besides that, it still stinks (no pun intended) to have a another sewerage outflow built in the Hawksbury.
Boats can't discharge their sewerage into the water, but Sydney Water can....Just doesnt figure.
Go to Top of Page

blacktruck
Salmon

Australia
18 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2005 :  11:34:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit blacktruck's Homepage Send blacktruck a Private Message
You name it it goes in the river storm/human/farming/industral it all goes in.

I wouldn,t it may hurt
Go to Top of Page

jabass
Mr. Bass

Australia
38 Posts

Member No: #4456

Posted - 12 Jun 2005 :  11:46:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit jabass's Homepage Send jabass a Private Message
G'Day
There were thirty two (32) sewerage treatment works emptying into the Nepean - Hawkesbury. This has been slightly reduced by re-directing by tunnels, some upper Blue Mountain's plants to the Winnmalee works. Reducing the number, but not the treated effluent. And governments and local councils continue to allow (encourage) further large scale development without supporting infrastructure.

And now with the drought, we are paying the piper. I wonder if the oyster viruses and diseases could be traced back to this wholesale pollution?

Kind Regards and Tight Lines John Bethune
Go to Top of Page

NickoTheFisho
Marlin

Australia
1824 Posts

Member No: #1504

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  3:43:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit NickoTheFisho's Homepage Send NickoTheFisho a Private Message
Is treated effluent still harmful? Or is treated just a word used as a gimmick?
Go to Top of Page

Dingo
Team Daylate

Australia
7922 Posts

Member No: #323

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  4:56:36 PM  Show Profile Send Dingo a Private Message
Richmond golf course is watered with treated water from the sewer works, their greens and fairways are nice lush and green. The water dosnt smell and is clear to look at, I am told you could drink it without much chance of harm, the water must be rich in nutrients to make the grass grow so well, nutrient rich water is not good for the balance in the aquatic environment.
Another thing is when we have large amounts of water entering the sewerage plants because of rain or other reasons the effluent isnt treated as well and in some cases at all.
Heres a ripper about sewerage and water, I used to trek into the blue mountains down some of the creeks that flow into the warragamba dam and cant remember how many times I have seen raw sewerage flowing out of broken pipes straight into creeks that feed your drinking water.

In this day and age there is absolutly zero excuse for any discharge into either the rivers or the ocean, we humans just dont like the idea of eating food that has been fertilised with our own treated effluent, untreated horse, cow or chook poop is fine though

Drive it till the wheels fall off

Cheers Paul

Edited by - Dingo on 01 Jul 2005 5:04:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

holymac
stickleback

Australia
2777 Posts

Member No: #4463

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  6:31:53 PM  Show Profile  Send holymac an ICQ Message Send holymac a Private Message
just another slite on things, how many people connect their stormwater pipes to the sewer system? this overloads the plant and in heavy rain deems the system useless. how many people direct their pool back flush to the stormwater system?all these things attribute to us ****ing up the planet. it's fair dinkum not rocket science eh.you are so right there dingo

Edited by - holymac on 04 Jul 2005 6:46:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

brew01
Mackeral

Australia
52 Posts

Member No: #8653

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  09:31:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit brew01's Homepage Send brew01 a Private Message
just reminiscing here guys but does anyone else remember the pristine way the OLD RIVER used to be - the water color - fish size such as jews - hairtail - flatties and mullet.
Now it just seems to be WHO HAS THE BIGGEST BOAT - WHERE DO I BUILD MY BIG HOUSE - WHERE CAN I PUT AN OVERPRICED MARINA OR RESTAURANT .Unfortunately with progress you get problems and this is one related back to over developing around a natural resource.
We may never get back those days but lets at least still voice an opinion to the appropriate bodies that there should be a limit otherwise taking your kids and grandkids fishing today there (the Hawksbury and other rivers) will just be a lot of stories about HOW IT WAS WHEN I WAS YOUNG.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sportsfish Australia © Sportsfish Australia 2000 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000