Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ    
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 Advice Please!
 Can see them under the boat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Paul D
Ausbass Member

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2015 :  07:47:52  Show Profile Send Paul D a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

Im very new to the sport and have been out a few times but i am yet to land a fish or get a bite for that matter.

I live near lake St Claire in NSW and have tried for bass on many occasions without any luck. I dont have any problem locating the bass but can't get them to take a hook. I am using a 7 foot rod that I normally use bfor bream a 1500 reel 10lb braid and a 6lb mono leader.

I have tried lures such as cicadas, Christmas beatles and some plastics. I have also fried some spinners. I have cast straight over the top of the bass swimming below the boat. They will look at the lure when it hits the water but wont take it.

If anyone has any advice or are in the area and love to come out for the day (my shout lol) to give some pointers please help.

Thanks in advance Paul

Paul D
Ausbass Member

3 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2015 :  18:23:20  Show Profile Send Paul D a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Went out again today. Tried many different lures and casting techniques and all I got was this hook up. [URL=http://s30.photobucket.com/user/TOY80ST/media/fishing/629EB6F5-2568-497F-8284-789E5C5FD392.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

Tbone
Ausbass Member

461 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2015 :  07:27:53  Show Profile Send Tbone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OLCH
Go to Top of Page

SkyeWarrior
Ausbass Member

353 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2015 :  09:20:01  Show Profile Send SkyeWarrior a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Paul, while bass aren't really a shy fish, you might have trouble getting them interested if they can see you in daylight. If they're sitting off the weeds or something, maybe try sitting 5-10 feet off the weed and cast parallel to it and well over them and let it sink. Plastics (with and without a beatle spin), spinnerbaits and blades/vibes are probably the go. Everyone's likely to have their own ideas about the retrieve, but I'd be fishing slowly (dead slow, lift-stop-drop or slow and erratic) rather than ripping it out (but that sometimes works ). Unless you're there before dawn or dusk and can't see the sun, surface fishing is hard going without overhead structure.

Good luck,
Stevo

Edited : spell check failed me

Edited by - SkyeWarrior on 29/12/2015 09:22:51
Go to Top of Page

Paul D
Ausbass Member

3 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2016 :  10:31:26  Show Profile Send Paul D a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Stevo,

I have now caught a few bass and ome have been quite reasonable. I changed the time of day i was going and found your advice helpful. I was determined to catch a bass an have been doing ok since my first hookup. I caught 4 bass on my first outing since changing my fishing times and 2 on the second. I have been catching them consistently since. The second time was a little bit windy until late in the evening. I have also found them to come on the bite then switch off like a switch and get nothing.
I dont have an electric motor so i need to anchor and cast all around the boat. What I have also found is if i catch a fish i won't get a strike for another 10 minutes and if i put them back into the water rather than the live well I won't get a strike for half an hour.

Loving it.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

SkyeWarrior
Ausbass Member

353 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2016 :  19:46:15  Show Profile Send SkyeWarrior a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice one mate. Happy New Year!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AusBass Forums © 2000-2014 AusBass.com.au Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000