Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ    
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Sponsors and Competitions
 Competitions
 Duffrods Comp is back Jun - Aug
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Scales
Ausbass Member

Australia
560 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  09:20:01  Show Profile Send Scales a Private Message
Hi everyone and welcome to winter.

The Duffrod comp is back.

Please remember the following rules.

1. Members will still need to enter with a detailed report.

2. At the end of the competition the members will vote for the best entry from each respective site, ie Ausbream and Ausbass.

3. Steve will then decide from the voted "best" of each site who will win the prize (rod).

One rod only is still offered each time between Ausbream & Ausbass sites.

As the bass season is currently closed in NSW 'ANY' fishing trip report will qualify.

Nick

Artifact
Ausbass Member

892 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2012 :  10:09:51  Show Profile Send Artifact a Private Message
It's been a while since I put a report up, but I've been on the water a few times last month...

My wife and daughter came out with me one afternoon on my favourite creek, she fits quite nicely in the front if I remove the console. My daughter that is.

94.17 KB

The bass were fatter than their usual self and were extra feisty. I had fun picking them up off the surface and just underneath.

92.22 KB

95.27 KB

CAMP

The next trip was a solo one. Loaded the kayak up, and launched at another nearby creek I wanted to explore over 3 days.

Also got a chance to give my new Hennessy hammock a proper workout. I bought it several months ago and have spent several nights in it, though none on the bank of a river. I ended up with an ultralight explorer that was a steal (ex display model). Also, I got a trangia stove for xmas, and it too was extremely useful.

I didn't take a whole lot of photos; too busy bear gryllsing it and the fishing wasn't all that great.
This is campsite 2 on the river. This is actually an island which I got a real kick out of.

89.72 KB

dinner on the fire

95.16 KB

Tiny baby turtle. I picked it up in the shallows thinking it was an odd shaped rock.

74.28 KB

As I mentioned, the fishing wasn't fantastic, nothing of much size but enough to keep me occupied.

69.96 KB

View from camp. Nice deep pool. Not pictured: resident feral goose who woke me up at 4am one morning making a hell of a racket and scared the bejeesus out of me.

91.96 KB

timber dweller:

96.24 KB

It was fantastic being on the water and having so much time to explore and fish and cook on a fire. Really recharges the batteries.

Back on the favourite creek

This was a short afternoon fish in the kayak. Same lucky purple diver was the lure of choice, the fish in here can't seem to get enough of it.

67.43 KB

Fat and full of steam.

92.34 KB

I struggled keeping some of these out of the timber. I replaced the leader before I went, but only had 15 lb on hand. It definitely kept this nugget on the line. He buried himself in a jam of logs and I had to coax him out. The leader was scraped and twanged and came out looking terrible, but I got my fish and my lucky purple diver back.

90.78 KB

A welcome sight on the creek bank on the way out.

89.81 KB

Edited by - Artifact on 16/06/2012 10:11:56
Go to Top of Page

RonR
Ausbass Member

891 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2012 :  17:24:30  Show Profile Send RonR a Private Message
Artifact,

Great report with varied wildlife and great pics! The hammock would be luxury compared to the sleeping bag on rough ground.

On a Nymboida trip 5 years ago, when we camped at one place over 2 days, an Echidna seemed to adopt us and hung around our tents the entire time. Maybe the chicken scraps - some of which were scoffed by 2 goannas - were tastier than ants and termites. He/she dug him/herself 20cm into the ground as we were leaving.

Shoot me a PM with your email address.

Ron

Edited by - RonR on 17/06/2012 18:20:06
Go to Top of Page

dirty
Ausbass Member

152 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2012 :  08:30:25  Show Profile  Visit dirty's Homepage Send dirty a Private Message
Danjera Over Nighter

While everyone was enjoying their long weekend, I had to work Sat/Sun. Chris and I had discussed the possibility of going for a fish/camp/fish at Danjera Dam, Yalwal on the Sun/Mon and heading out as soon as I fininshed work.

We were away by 4pm Sunday afternoon and arrived at the dam camping grounds to find it at capacity with about 30 odd groups of people calling it home for the night. We reassessed and decided to set up camp later and just get on the water asap.

We headed to the first bay opposite the ramp and it wasn't long until Chris had caught the first fish of the trip on the ever producing Maria Crank.

Nothing else came from this spot so we trolled around the weed beds and around to the next inlet where I put on a Z Man Chatterbait Micro which I've itching to catch something on, but hadn't until now.

We kept at it well into the afternoon and with the cover of dark decided to try the surface out. We were getting plenty of missed strikes but only managed one more Bass for the day.

(A look back at the main camp)

We motored back to the ramp and decided that with the lack of boats/canoes/kayaks at the camps that there wasn't anyone interested in using the ramp and made camp there. It wasn't long until we had the fire roaring, food cooking and we were ready to sit around chilling out to the sound of the spill way and the wind that was starting to pick up.

Up again at 5.15am to cook breakfast and coffee before getting on the water by 6am. To say it was cold was an understatement. The wind from the night before had subsided a little, but had chilled the whole valley and the breeze that was coming through felt like it was coming straight off the snow.

We tied on some surface lures for a while, but with the lack of action it was time to go deep again. Generally we were able to only find one fish from each bay, which was both annoying and frustrating as the bays are big with plenty of structure.

We went back to camp for a pit stop, have a coffee and restart the fire to warm up again.

Our next location was a spur of the moment idea, and we decided to leave the canoe behind and head down the spill way to find some deep holes with the hope that some of the bigger fish might have gone over with the recent rains we've had.

Much to our surprise the walk down was a lot more Gryllsy than we had anticipated with a very steep rock face to contend with. We decided on a path on some of the fault cracks and made it down. We fished both pools at the bottom and both missed a fish each from each pool. We pushed further, which was just as Gryllsy as the first part, but nothing came from our efforts. Regardless of the lack of Bass, it was a great adventure in and out and totally worth the trip. After seeing the waterflow down, I'd be surprised at the survival rate of anything that goes over, but you never know...

Back into the canoe to fish the bays again, a few more Bass were hooked and boated but with the afternoon coming and the need to pack up camp we called it quits and went home. A great trip, and one that will get repeated again soon.

Go to Top of Page

dan flack
Ausbass Member

128 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2012 :  07:11:44  Show Profile Send dan flack a Private Message
Hi all,

I thought i most post this to help a few get through their winter blues, as usual for this time of year i turn to the salt to target bream and flatties. With a productive mid morning run out tide session using damaki vibes landing numerous bream and some nice size flatties. I hooked into what i thought was a small soapie but when this thing started tearing back towards the oyster racks at a hundred miles an hour i knew it was something decent. After about a 5 minute fight with lots of long runs i finally netted my first jack, 53cm fork lenght caught on 6pd braid with 8pd sunline leader. the little 2500sol was screaming like i've never heard, not bad for a winter session i think.
Here's a few pics

Counting down the days till season open, but if i can find a couple more of these i think they could tire me over,

cheers Dan
Go to Top of Page

ledge n
Ausbass Member

60 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2012 :  17:19:42  Show Profile Send ledge n a Private Message
Well I decided to wash the salt off my gear and hit Glenbawn.

I was met by a calm morning and no other boat trailers at the ramp,

moving to my fist spot near the pump house we got our bag of 2 each real quick using Gladiator baits on the evolution 1/4 jigheads,

this was one the the best,

moving on and still enjoying the scenery

we fished a few spots but no upgrades. We moved around a bit and managed several more good fighting bass.

Then after a few hours it was time to go home with a quick stop at the wall,

glad we did,

over all a top day and a good result for a mug.

looking forward to work tomorrow,

Ledge n.

Edited by - ledge n on 26/08/2012 17:20:07
Go to Top of Page

Scales
Ausbass Member

560 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2012 :  18:48:34  Show Profile Send Scales a Private Message
Comp is now closed

Thanks to all who entered.

Nick
Go to Top of Page