Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ    
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bass Boats, Kayaks, Canoes & Fishing Equipment
 Sounder Secrets
 Sounder shots
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brad
Ausbass Member

Australia
120 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  00:27:42  Show Profile Send brad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

recently attached a sounder to my kayak but have absoluetely no idea how to read it im trying to read manuals and books but would love if someone can look at things. I am having difficulty cutting through the clutter to recognise features.

Insert Image:

34.68 KB

Insert Image:

27.63 KB

Insert Image:

31.18 KB

Insert Image:

34.59 KB

The first two shots are from a dam
whilst the other shots are in a narrow feeder that runs into a large estuary

Thanks guys

Brad

beats
Ausbass Member

657 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  18:08:58  Show Profile Send beats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
shot 1, is air bubbles, soft bottom.
shot 2, looks like sitting still on top of a clump of weed or tree branch, soft bottom.
Shot 3, same but moving, branch or weed, maybe 2 small fish & a thermocline, temperatue change or a tidal eddy @ about 2.8m, harder bottom.
shot 4, pinnacle or drop over, maybe 2 fish (hard to call), Hard bottom
those screens look pretty clear to me, think i read them fine :-)
it's all a learning curve, if you have no clutter your missing out on information, in all honest the absolute best way to learn what your sounder is telling you is trolling from spot to spot & keeping an eye on it as often as possible.
Go to Top of Page

brad
Ausbass Member

120 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  18:39:22  Show Profile Send brad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
cheers beats so u reckon i need to up the sensitivity??? its about 4 notches down from the absolute maximum sensitivity?
Go to Top of Page

beats
Ausbass Member

657 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  18:52:32  Show Profile Send beats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
on a 1-100% scale, depending on water quality, about 65-90%
turn it up til screen is cluttered then slowly back it off till you still have some clutter but a reasonable picture, that should give you the most info once you get used to using your sounder.
Go to Top of Page

Oddrod
Ausbass Member

121 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2011 :  08:53:50  Show Profile Send Oddrod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could also set the upper limit to about 1 metre. This will get rid of some the worst of the surface clutter without sacrificing the sensitivity.
Go to Top of Page

bigone
Ausbass Member

6 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  19:24:00  Show Profile Send bigone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
good tips!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AusBass Forums © 2000-2014 AusBass.com.au Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000