Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ    
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bass Boats, Kayaks, Canoes & Fishing Equipment
 Lures
 Meade's 'Gutless frog'. (my version)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shirebassa
Ausbass Member

Australia
219 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2015 :  16:57:36  Show Profile  Click to see shirebassa's MSN Messenger address Send shirebassa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
G'day guys. After some research and some very helpful blokes on here,i decided to make myself some 'Gutless frog' surface flies.

I'm no expert at tying flies,i just like to mess around and see what i can create,but these things were SUPER easy to tie.

The first frog....The brown one.
I made the body a bit too long around the back of the hook.Due to this,the profile was larger than i wanted to achieve.So to fix the problem i just ran another few wraps around the body,just back from where the foam is actually tied on,to squeeze it in a bit to get the profile i was going for.For the time being,i'll call this my 'larger model'.

The next frog was tied up using less of the foam,and keeping the back of the lure closer to the bend of the hook.I changed this one slightly,compared to the larger model.Instead of running the legs through both sides of the body,i used 2 sets of 3 strands,tied each set with a knot,to make separate legs.This one then got painted good Ol Aussie green and gold! (Hopefully it'll catch me some bronze...)

Like anything,the more you do something,the better you get at it.So...i'm really happy with the third one.I painted this one up my 'go to' colours for bass....black and purple (with yellow dots,just to jazz it up a bit!!) This will be first one i tie on.

Anyway,hope you like the look of them......

Insert Image:

181.21 KB

Insert Image:

378.45 KB

Insert Image:

288.49 KB

Insert Image:

322.08 KB

Edited by - shirebassa on 10/03/2015 17:01:45

PatB
Ausbass Member

508 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2015 :  19:16:17  Show Profile  Visit PatB's Homepage Send PatB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They're awesome !! Well done. Now try and tie some with the hook point between the bend of foam so it is "weedless" top and bottom. Cheers Pat.
Go to Top of Page

shirebassa
Ausbass Member

219 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2015 :  19:41:45  Show Profile  Click to see shirebassa's MSN Messenger address Send shirebassa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Pat!!That's next on the table.Today was just a trial to see how they go.I have a few things in mind to tweak them a little also.I'll see how that pans out when i get some time to tie up a few more.
Go to Top of Page

penguin
Ausbass Member

271 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2015 :  15:41:21  Show Profile Send penguin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
looking the goods, what size foam did you get and what paint did you use?
Go to Top of Page

shirebassa
Ausbass Member

219 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2015 :  19:57:08  Show Profile  Click to see shirebassa's MSN Messenger address Send shirebassa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty sure it was the 6mm foam,I've thrown out the packaging.As for paint,I used Humbrol model paint. It's the only paint I had at home.
Go to Top of Page

penguin
Ausbass Member

271 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2015 :  11:46:11  Show Profile Send penguin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found some 4mm Rainey's float foam in my fly tying stuff and some #4 worm hooks and had a go, pretty happy with the result, should catch a Nepean bass

Insert Image:

[size=1] 740.94 KB[/size=1

have another photo but can't seem to resize to post (stupid mac) spent hours trying to get it to work, will try later and post it i can.

Go to Top of Page

penguin
Ausbass Member

271 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2015 :  11:51:48  Show Profile Send penguin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
finally got second photo, here it is

Insert Image:

606.02 KB
Go to Top of Page

shirebassa
Ausbass Member

219 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2015 :  17:35:45  Show Profile  Click to see shirebassa's MSN Messenger address Send shirebassa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They look great, penguin!! Good stuff on making some. I was actually just looking at mine again, and I've suprised myself with the 2 smaller models. If I push the back of the foam up, it catches on the bend of the hook and holds (but can still move to expose the hook point when hit by a fish) Meaning, I've made them to become really weedless without knowing I did! Pat suggested tying the foam at a different angle to hide the hook point, which I will still mess around with, but I'm extra happy to find out my little dudes can become weedless. I'll get a pic and pop it up to show you.
Go to Top of Page

shirebassa
Ausbass Member

219 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2015 :  17:47:43  Show Profile  Click to see shirebassa's MSN Messenger address Send shirebassa a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Insert Image:

1202.2 KB

Insert Image:

1054.1 KB

Insert Image:

1080.52 KB
Go to Top of Page

PatB
Ausbass Member

508 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2015 :  18:01:04  Show Profile  Visit PatB's Homepage Send PatB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now we're talking !!! That looks perfect plus what it also does is bring the centre of gravity lower on the underside with the hook bend really "keeling" it so it land upright most times. Well I'd have to say this has evolved pretty quick and inspired me to look in my tying gear and have a go. You know you could always "spot" glue the foam in position with the tinniest bit of CA glue as the sides will cave in if grabbed solidly. Just a thought as it probably will move once you back cast. Cheers Pat.
Go to Top of Page

penguin
Ausbass Member

271 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2015 :  18:47:17  Show Profile Send penguin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had a casts on the grass with them and happy with the way the turnover and land, next one will use your idea and shorten the tail so it is hard against the end of the hook which should hold it in place until grabbed.
Now to get out onto the water and get them wet.
Go to Top of Page

shirebassa
Ausbass Member

219 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2015 :  15:38:57  Show Profile  Click to see shirebassa's MSN Messenger address Send shirebassa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Onya fellas!! I've just finished tying up a few more. My missus is home sick today, watching me tie them up, she asked if she could make one.I gave her a quick run down of what to do, and she nailed it! It's probably the best one I've got made up! Hahaha!

I've messed around a bit today and I've come up with something else......watch this space.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AusBass Forums © 2000-2014 AusBass.com.au Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000