Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ    
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bass Boats, Kayaks, Canoes & Fishing Equipment
 Fishing Tackle
 New baitcaster combo - had an accident!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lastworm
Ausbass Member

Australia
149 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2015 :  20:07:16  Show Profile  Click to see lastworm's MSN Messenger address Send lastworm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,
Been a member for years but also haven't been active or fished for a few.

Went out with a mate on the weekend in the kayaks and had my first taste of surface action, which was awesome, however before we got started I dropped my like new GLoomis CJR 720 6' 2-4kg/ Team Daiwa Advantage 153HSTA combo in the drink. Way too deep and murky to find, and a good bit of gear gone.

I got stuck using my backup spinning outfit and my accuracy just wasn't up to scratch, and to be honest I didn't enjoy using it at all.

I loved that combo and now want to replace it with something comparable, however it was prefect for me and I'm fussy and have a few pre requisites.

Rod
Cork grips - must be short, and don't want a split handle
Graphite
5' 6" - 6' long
Quality brand
Light weight (2-4kg max)

Reel
Shimano/Daiwa or Abu
Can cast light weights (poppers and plastics)

I know there are a lot of quality rods on the market now from brands I've never heard of, so would be interested to hear people's thoughts.

If I can get away with a combo for around $450, I'd buy a new combo, if not I'm happy to go a new rod and just pair it up with my old Abu Revo S.

I had a look today and the only rod I found that I liked was the Shimano Bass Raider 2, but still not sold on it.

On the plus side, it's good to be back and hopefully I'll be a bit more active in the forums than I have been.

Cheers,
Vince

scottocs
Ausbass Member

129 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  02:24:06  Show Profile Send scottocs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
m8 I think I know a perfect rod for you,the Shimano Ian Miller Millennium they are rated a little higher than you wanted but I thought they were a rated a bit high,I had the 6'6 finesse bass and it's rated 3-6kg but it was definitely more like 2-4kg and the 5'8 model is the same,if memory serves me they were hand made in the Millerod factory on an IMX Loomis blank,they are a beautiful light crisp rod,they are clearing them out at MO's for $249,bargain.
As for the reel I know this blows your budget a little but the Pixy Type R is on sale at Tacklewarehouse for $299 US
It and the Millenium would make an insane finesse combo
Go to Top of Page

lastworm
Ausbass Member

149 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  09:17:49  Show Profile  Click to see lastworm's MSN Messenger address Send lastworm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply scottocs, I've just had a look into the Millenniums and Mo seem to only have the 2 piece 6'6" finesse and the 5'8" megabass, but for some reason when selecting the model you want they add $50 to the price? I guess it'd be worth taking a look at one in a tackle shop as it's always nice to feel it in your hands before committing. How do you find the 2 piece?

It would be great if I could find a very light loomis, however they seem to be quite chunky as they are generally made for the US market.

I also had a look at the pixy and they look like an amazing reel and very tempting, however the 'freshwater only' disclaimer worries me as I paddle through the salt before I get to my bass creeks, and generally my gear gets a bit of a soaking.

How would something like the Daiwa Tatula Type R 100HL go with light weights? I'm kind of weighing up between this and a Shimano Chronarch E.

The other alternative is to go for the Bass Raider and go for a higher end reel.

Go to Top of Page

scottocs
Ausbass Member

129 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  10:23:02  Show Profile Send scottocs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah I noticed the 6'6 is $50 more than the 5'8,when I bought mine when they first came out I think they were around the $450-$500 mark
That's understandable about the Pixy,the Tatula Type R would cast pretty light lures and I'd definitely get that before the Chronarch,not a shimano reel fan lol
Go to Top of Page

lastworm
Ausbass Member

149 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  11:19:13  Show Profile  Click to see lastworm's MSN Messenger address Send lastworm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, that is a big drop in price!

I think I may have decided, what are your thoughts on the below:

Bass Raider + Daiwa Zillion 100H (rod $109 locally + reel $299 tacklewarehouse.com = $408)

Or

Miller Millenium + Daiwa Tatular Type R (rod $249 locally + reel $199 tacklewarehouse.com = $448)

Not having seen/felt the Millenium, I'm leaning towards the Raider/Zillion, however happy to be convinced otherwise...

Go to Top of Page

benny88
Ausbass Member

628 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  12:21:24  Show Profile Send benny88 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You would be nuts not to pick up a pixy spr from motackle right now for $299. The spr is very similar to a standard px68 but has a centrifugal brake rather than a magnetic one. In Japan they were significantly more expensive than the standard pixy but right now at motackle you can pick one up cheaper. Ignore motackles de*****ion of the reel, its the biggest lot of complete made up bollocks on many levels however it is an excellent reel and casts down to 1/8th very well with all its stock components. They are also on sale at tacklewarehouse for 399usd which is about 450 aud to further highlight how good the price at mos is.

Edited by - benny88 on 12/01/2015 12:24:35
Go to Top of Page

lastworm
Ausbass Member

149 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  12:25:19  Show Profile  Click to see lastworm's MSN Messenger address Send lastworm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So you don't think they have any issues with saltwater then??

I'm pretty concerned with spending that kind of coin and ending up with the reel being thrashed after a couple of trips that's all...
Go to Top of Page

benny88
Ausbass Member

628 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  18:53:53  Show Profile Send benny88 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, didn't see you say anything about salt water. From reports if you use them in saltwater and look after them carefully they will be fine. My bass BC reels only see the fresh.
Go to Top of Page

lastworm
Ausbass Member

149 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  20:53:05  Show Profile  Click to see lastworm's MSN Messenger address Send lastworm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I paddle through the salt to get to my local creek so it's bound to get ruined.

I'm trying to research where to have a look at one of the Millenniums as I'm curious as to what they are like.

I have a feeling I may end up going stupid on both rid and reel as I'm a sucker when it comes to buying tackle and always end up giving in to just buying top line gear straight away.

Would love to hear any other recommendations that haven't been mentioned yet.
Go to Top of Page

lastworm
Ausbass Member

149 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2015 :  19:38:14  Show Profile  Click to see lastworm's MSN Messenger address Send lastworm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Went into tackleworld today and had a look around, and of course ended up doing some shopping.

I ended up going super finesse with a Shimano Ian Miller Impact Nano XT 510 2-4kg baitcaster. It was reasonably priced and felt really nice in the hand.

I ended up pairing it up with a Shimano Chronarch 150 Ci +4, which is insanely light and some 10lb braid.

Went a bit cheaper on the rod and a lot more expensive on the reel, but I'm really happy with it and most of all it just feels so nice together.

Just need to get out and test it out now.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AusBass Forums © 2000-2014 AusBass.com.au Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000