Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ    
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 Advice Please!
 Crushing Barbs?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Black Jack
Ausbass Member

Australia
16 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2014 :  14:02:31  Show Profile Send Black Jack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys
Been crushing barbs on my flies, when I remember!
Easier to get out of my ear and not as tough on the fish either!

Wondered if I crushed the barbs on the trebles of hard bodies and
also spinnerbait hooks would be OK?
.........Gary

boris
Ausbass Member

47 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2014 :  19:49:43  Show Profile  Visit boris's Homepage Send boris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes every time. Makes accidents more pleasant and better for the fish.
Go to Top of Page

Black Jack
Ausbass Member

16 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2014 :  23:45:25  Show Profile Send Black Jack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tks Boris
Good news!
........Gary
Go to Top of Page

two-bob
Ausbass Member

759 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2014 :  08:17:21  Show Profile Send two-bob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I crush all my barbs. I find that I will loose the odd fish under unexpected slack line situations but this is rare and generally is angler error. The ability to slip a hook out of the mouth with minimal damage to the fish far outweighs the odd lost fish for me.
Go to Top of Page

Goodoo
Ausbass Member

660 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2014 :  09:09:39  Show Profile Send Goodoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Crushing barbs on spinnerbaits and hard-bodies is essential for catch-and-release bass fishing.

What barbed hooks do to bass is just nasty ... and totally unnecessary.

Keep your line tight and you'll land just as many. Note though that lures that come without split-rings (e.g. Jitterbugs) work better with barbless hooks if they are retro-fitted with split rings.

Edited by - Goodoo on 09/12/2014 21:14:24
Go to Top of Page

Black Jack
Ausbass Member

16 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2014 :  14:52:19  Show Profile Send Black Jack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only targeting bream/estuary perch/mulloway this Xmas at Glenelg river
have heard of bass in the upper reaches but that could be a rumour

All barbs will be crushed!
......Gary
Go to Top of Page

Ric2504
Ausbass Member

49 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2015 :  16:24:04  Show Profile Send Ric2504 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Always crush the barbs - saltwater and freshwater.

Ric
Go to Top of Page

Pukka
Senior Moderator

1555 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2015 :  07:54:25  Show Profile Send Pukka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Goodoo

Crushing barbs on spinnerbaits and hard-bodies is essential for catch-and-release bass fishing.

What barbed hooks do to bass is just nasty ... and totally unnecessary.

Keep your line tight and you'll land just as many. Note though that lures that come without split-rings (e.g. Jitterbugs) work better with barbless hooks if they are retro-fitted with split rings.

I always try and release fish in as good as condition as I can, but I think the difference in damage caused between a barbed and barbless hook is negligible. Most of any damage caused to the fish will occur in the fight after the hook has penetrated and the fish is pulling against the U bend of the hook.

Self-preservation is a pretty darn good reason for using barbless tho'.

Pukk'
Go to Top of Page

Goodoo
Ausbass Member

660 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2015 :  09:13:11  Show Profile Send Goodoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't totally agree.

Certainly if you're using fancy Jap hooks with whisker barbs, the damage isn't so great as with normal hooks with sizeable barbs ... but not all lures come with, and not all fishers use, fancy Jap hooks with whisker barbs.

There's also the undisputable fact that when bass really wallop a lure, particularly, it seems, jitterbugs, they can get hopelessly hooked up on multiple hook-points ... and if the hooks are barbed, they're hard to get out, even with pliers ... and this just adds up to an unnecessary and fish-stressing several minutes of fish "surgery" by the boat.

All factors weighed up, barbless hooks are still considerably more friendly to fish ... and there's just no point causing more damage or stress than you have to, to fish that you care for and plan to release.

Yep, the human safety advantage with barbless hooks is huge. I've had a couple of painful hook-ups that would have been a nightmare if the hooks had been barbed.
Go to Top of Page

Pukka
Senior Moderator

1555 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2015 :  09:58:29  Show Profile Send Pukka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same here Goodoo, could've saved myself some very painful moments in the past had I crushed the barbs.

Regarding the differences in hooks - absolutely! Which is why I used the word 'negligible'. Those 'fancy' Japanese hooks are the only ones I use for that reason, and I replace the trebles on lures that don't have them, like Jitterbugs for example, ('orrible hooks).

Same goes with spinnerbaits. The hooks many spinnerbait manufacturers seem to use look more like gaffs to me. Brutal.

Pukk'
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AusBass Forums © 2000-2014 AusBass.com.au Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000