Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ    
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bass Boats, Kayaks, Canoes & Fishing Equipment
 Bass Boats, Kayaks, Canoes and Inflatables!
 Sit-on kayaks versus sit-in kayaks?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Goodoo
Ausbass Member

Australia
660 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2014 :  10:07:38  Show Profile Send Goodoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys

First, the facts. I'm a big tall bloke, I'm not super-flexible (never did take up yoga), and frankly, I find getting in and out of my Australis Barra kayak is always fairly difficult and ugly.

A very sand-slugged low water paddle must have had getting in and out of the kayak about 50 times in one day, and I was starting to dread it in the end.

So ...

I'm thinking about sit-on kayaks. They would be so heavenly easily to get "in" and "out" of.

But what are they like to use when you're used to normal kayaks?

Do they handle similarly?

Do they take gear? (I'm intrigued by the possibility of models where you can put gear and rods *in* the kayak, via some port at the back, to protect gear during dodgy attempts at negotiating rapids.)

What brands are good.?
I just have a vision of doing portage laden trips where I'm just springing off a sit-on kayak with ease rather than groaning and the "heave and swing" manoeuvre out of a sit-in kayak.

cheers

Simon

benny88
Ausbass Member

628 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2014 :  17:00:44  Show Profile Send benny88 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The main differences are that you sit higher off the water and most of the time a sit on of equivalent tracking and stability to a sit in will probably be heavier. That's a pretty broad statement and there's yaks and then there's yaks so there are no hard and fast rules. In my experience sit ins paddle better.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
Ausbass Member

700 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2014 :  22:36:42  Show Profile  Visit Ziggy's Homepage Send Ziggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep i fish with people with sit on`s and I always out paddle them (easy).

That said I am always envious when they hit a small shallow and jump out or in fast water find a log to put a foot on to cast.

They both have merits you just have to decide what you want.
Go to Top of Page

dan flack
Ausbass Member

128 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2014 :  08:49:33  Show Profile Send dan flack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Theres always hybrids? sit in open kayaks similar to canoes, they can carry big payloads for overnighters or big daytrips? when decked out properly you can store rods away from damage when shooting rapids

dan
Go to Top of Page

tigesinaus
Ausbass Member

174 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2014 :  10:49:21  Show Profile Send tigesinaus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a sit in (old town vapour) and it has been fantastic. Have hit a lot of white water in it whilst fishing. Personally I find they are better suited to white water as you can get more purchase with your thighs to really lock in for tight turns.
However if you are fishing mainly flat water with occasional small rapids i feel a sit on would be better in every way. Easier to get in and out / don't fill up with water / usually more flat deck space / tend to be very stable for standing.
You will see most "fishing" kayaks are sit ons nowdays.
Go to Top of Page

timax
Ausbass Member

316 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2014 :  16:47:20  Show Profile  Visit timax's Homepage Send timax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Simon , I have a sit in Sea Kayak and even run a Sea Kayaking forum BUT for bass Fishing I use a sit on top kayak. NO way would i want a sit in style for fishing. Too dangerous to start with. How many of you with sit ins have a way to empty the kayak and get back in without getting to shore??
The way a kayak paddles is all down to hull design. Also your height above the water line. The higher you are the better paddle stroke you can get and the less stable you will be. You need to fine tune this just for you. Some people are top heavy and some are not. These things make a difference.
A good one will be with you for a long time so take your time and read everything you can. try and paddle a few also.
I would also have a look at the Kayak fishing forum as these guys know their stuff.
Go to Top of Page

andybass66
Ausbass Member

169 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2015 :  21:14:27  Show Profile Send andybass66 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Jackson coosa look good for a sit on top check them out
Go to Top of Page

robo
Ausbass Member

404 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2015 :  17:22:57  Show Profile Send robo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heya
Sit in all day everyday. Cover from the sun, sit nicer in the water, less greasy sunscreen and then warmer fishing at night. If you are going to take it off shore 2 2 litre coke bottles up the front and with a bulk head it will keep it afloat sponge out the water or simply sit in the water and paddle the yak they are easier to get back into when some water is in them. lol

Cheers

robo
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AusBass Forums © 2000-2014 AusBass.com.au Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000