Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ    
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Sponsors and Competitions
 Fuji Rod Builders Workshop
 cork rings ??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pat
Ausbass Member

Australia
75 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2011 :  20:07:03  Show Profile Send pat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hey guys,ive been dabbling in a bit of rod building and after making my first and suprising myself at how well it turned out ive decided to do another this time i want to turn my own cork handles aswell,so was just wondering if anyone has any tips for me on what glue to use for gluing the cork rings together, ive read an article from a rod builder that says to use epoxy to do this as it doesnt shrink when it dries and the rings dont scallop any ideas on this from any rod builders out there would be greatly appreciated
also i was wondering if anyone had any good ideas on a blank for me i want to make a baitcast yak rod at about 6 foot that will have a nice light tip for throwing lighter lures but still has a bit of grunt down near the butt section for pulling them out of heavy cover
any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated
cheers pat

beats
Ausbass Member

657 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  18:41:33  Show Profile Send beats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
buy the pre made corks from fuji mate, much easier
& much easier to find
Go to Top of Page

pat
Ausbass Member

75 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  20:40:32  Show Profile Send pat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haha it's too late for that beats I've already ordered and payed for the cork I'm gonna try and do a nice handle with a mixture of burnt,natural flor and rubberized cork ,I just want to have a crack at it atleast once and I did buy fuji grips from ben at Windsor last time ,for the price of the kits you can't go wrong , this is just something I want to do whether it works or not atleast I know I got fuji as a plan b
Go to Top of Page

beats
Ausbass Member

657 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2011 :  19:35:58  Show Profile Send beats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
as long as you have a lathe it'll be sweet mate, have you studdied up on how to press em all together on the blank while gluing etc, there is a good amgazine but can be a struggle to find these days that Ian Miller had a hand in quite a few years back which is very handy if you ever see it anywhere "The Australian Rod Crafter" from memory
Go to Top of Page

pat
Ausbass Member

75 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2011 :  21:16:40  Show Profile Send pat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cheers beats I'll have to see if I can track down a copy of that mag or something similar ,I've made myself a clamp for pressing the cork together and my mates got a hobby lathe that I'll be able to turn the handle on ,I've just gotta wait for the cork to arrive and order a blank and it should be all systems go if I can workout how to post pics I might post some up as I do it
Cheers pat
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AusBass Forums © 2000-2014 AusBass.com.au Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000