Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ    
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The photography Lab
 Camera Equipment, Hints and Tips!
 What are we shooting with?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Albert Wild
Ausbass Member

Australia
28 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  22:09:27  Show Profile Send Albert Wild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all this is a great addition to the site, I'm a self confessed shutter bug, my camera bag goes with me every where. I thought it would be interesting to find out what we are all shooting our bass pics with. I'll kick it off, I only recently purchased a new nikon D700 with a 24 to 70 mm 2.8 and a SB 900 speed light. It has a full size sensor and takes amazing shots in low light, I'm very happy. It's only draw back is its very heavy, but I can live with that.

Cheers Captain

timax
Ausbass Member

316 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  14:40:37  Show Profile  Visit timax's Homepage Send timax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bet you don't paddle a kayak do you , or try to self portraits with it. If so I'm impressed. I think your crazy but impressed as well.
I have a canon 5dmk2 and several other bigger cameras but for my fishing trips I take a little olympus underwater 10mp point & ****. If I was fishing the bank or a larger canoe with a mate then maybe the 5d would come along. I like the idea of a better compact like the Lumix lx5 in a housing but will wait for the oly to die first.
Go to Top of Page

nutter
Ausbass Member

1332 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  15:17:01  Show Profile  Visit nutter's Homepage Send nutter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mix and match at the moment Nikon D80 if Ive got the room, a canon G9 (goto camera) and a olympus tough.
Go to Top of Page

Albert Wild
Ausbass Member

28 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  16:13:37  Show Profile Send Albert Wild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The G9 is a popular weapon Nutter, seems like a very handy piece of kit, do you have a housing for it?
Go to Top of Page

nutter
Ausbass Member

1332 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  16:32:47  Show Profile  Visit nutter's Homepage Send nutter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes and a flash, wide angle and a 2x zoom. The extras are a waste of money now that I have the D80 with all the goods. But the housing is good
Go to Top of Page

birdie
Ausbass Member

19 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  21:17:24  Show Profile Send birdie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT2 waterproof camera a couple of months ago and I'm pretty happy with it. It's compact, easy to use and takes good pics and even high def video. I also recently bought an X-Shot kayak mount. It's very simple to use and allows me to take decent pics of bass while I'm holding them, without having one arm out stretched to hold the camera and take the pic.
Go to Top of Page

Albert Wild
Ausbass Member

28 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  21:46:40  Show Profile Send Albert Wild a Private Message  Reply with Quote

A couple of low light pics from the D700, next to zero noise at 1600 ISO

Insert Image:

76.57 KB

Insert Image:

75.25 KB

A couple of bass pics from the D700 with fill flash, the 24 to 70 is the sharpest lens I have owned, it leaves my old 18 to 200 for dead.

Insert Image:

146.89 KB

Insert Image:

145.78 KB

Insert Image:

175.68 KB
Go to Top of Page

Albert Wild
Ausbass Member

28 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  21:48:51  Show Profile Send Albert Wild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uploaded twice for some reason

Edited by - Albert Wild on 21/12/2010 21:52:33
Go to Top of Page

nutter
Ausbass Member

1332 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  08:53:36  Show Profile  Visit nutter's Homepage Send nutter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice pics
Ive moved to prime lens for there sharpness. 35mm, 50mm and now wanting a wide angle fixed 14mm would be nice but $$$$$$$$ so looking at a 18 or 20mm
Go to Top of Page

Bass1
Ausbass Member

2204 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  10:44:56  Show Profile  Visit Bass1's Homepage Send Bass1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great thread guys.
Go to Top of Page

timax
Ausbass Member

316 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  13:20:21  Show Profile  Visit timax's Homepage Send timax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nutter

Very nice pics
Ive moved to prime lens for there sharpness. 35mm, 50mm and now wanting a wide angle fixed 14mm would be nice but $$$$$$$$ so looking at a 18 or 20mm

I have some zeiss primes you would like. 21 and 50 macro. Remember though , Canon and Nikon invest most of their effort into making the zooms better. So the main advantage of a prime is faster f stop. I made that mistake with a 28mm prime that was way less sharp than my 28-70. Less distortion but not crisp.These days with converters you can run say an Olympus zuiko 20mm on your nikon. That may be worth looking into. Might need to stop down manually though. I'm looking for a Minolta Rokkor 58mm 1.2 for my Canon. Thats one that I will just shoot wide open though. There are some bargains to be had with some of these older lenses. There are some crackers amongst them.
Update with my happy snapper.......i'll be in Hong Kong on xmas day. I'm going to buy a Lumix LX5. This will now be my Bass camera. Will put it in a wet bag though. My 5d and zeiss lenses will not be coming fishing. Big difference with me though is I shoot for a living and fish for fun. I could easily go fishing for a week and not take a "proper" picture.
Go to Top of Page

Albert Wild
Ausbass Member

28 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  21:21:23  Show Profile Send Albert Wild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeh I'm hearing you Nutter, good glass does not come cheap, although I have picked up the odd bargain on ebay. I have got a few bits and pieces I need to off load at the moment to fund a new macro, wouldn't mind a 50mm prime as well. Maybe santa will be kind to us all.
Go to Top of Page

timax
Ausbass Member

316 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2010 :  00:13:13  Show Profile  Visit timax's Homepage Send timax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Albert , the 55mm macro is one of the sharpest lenses I have ever had. An old loose one bought on the cheap. I have a Leica 60mm macro and I think the nikkor one is sharper. If your in Sydney your welcome to try it out if you want. Just pm me. I also had a 60 mm AF version that was no where near as good as the old crappy one. Swapped it for a book case!
Go to Top of Page

Albert Wild
Ausbass Member

28 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2010 :  11:41:36  Show Profile Send Albert Wild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cheers for the heads up on the 60mm timax, I have a friend with one, I might scam it off him for a few days and give a try before I buy.

Go to Top of Page

timax
Ausbass Member

316 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  20:19:14  Show Profile  Visit timax's Homepage Send timax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting thing to do for those of you wanting to buy a prime lens (non Zoom) Have a look at 20 or so of you fave shots. Check the meta data that shows the focal length you had your zoom set at. Make a list of the 4 or 5 settings and see what focal length most were shot at. My shots from a 24 to 105 zoom were ...70 % at 55 to 60 mm.......several at 105 ...a few at 24 and 1 at 35. Surprised me as in the past I would travel only with a 35. Have in fact shot travel stories in Vietnam and India using only a 35mm prime lens. Just got back last night from Sri Lanka where I took a 50mm and a 21mm prime. I basically just left the 50 on and loved it. Only really used the 21 a few times.
Go to Top of Page

msenior
Ausbass Member

2 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  17:30:38  Show Profile  Click to see msenior's MSN Messenger address Send msenior a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Def killing it there with the shots on the D700 mate. Since im fishing in my yak, there is no way in hell im taking my 7D with me haha. Would like to as I am in need of a camera at the moment to get some shots/video with.

iPhone 4 is my go to cam at the moment for pics.

Mike

Edited by - msenior on 03/03/2011 17:31:22
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AusBass Forums © 2000-2014 AusBass.com.au Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000