Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ    
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bass Boats, Kayaks, Canoes & Fishing Equipment
 Sounder Secrets
 New Forum Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 2

Scales
Ausbass Member

Australia
560 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  13:26:12  Show Profile Send Scales a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a new forum that has been created so members can place up their sounder screen shots and explain or have them explained.

Please treat this forum with respect as we all have something to learn from each other.

This forum will also be kept as a sticky so it will remain at the top of the forum list so it can be easy to find.

Enjoy!

bluedog
Ausbass Member

65 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  13:33:53  Show Profile Send bluedog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a great idea hopefully we'll learn some new things
Go to Top of Page

pat
Ausbass Member

75 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  15:32:35  Show Profile Send pat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is great I've got two sounders on my boat and have had the boat for 5 yrs now and still don't know how to read the bloody things hopefully I can learn a thing or two about how to read or even set them! Great topic Ausbass
cheers pat
Go to Top of Page

brad
Ausbass Member

120 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  15:35:19  Show Profile Send brad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
best idea im a long time

Brad
Go to Top of Page

Scales
Ausbass Member

560 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  18:14:08  Show Profile Send Scales a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well post some pics up guys and I'll see if I can help.
Go to Top of Page

leelee
Ausbass Member

134 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  19:47:17  Show Profile Send leelee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK here are some bass ones I have from this year -

1. Sommerset Dam

This clearly shows the difference using downscan (left) and traditional 2d (right). Schools passed through all morning that day

2. Sommerset Dam

Bait getting hammered by schools of passing bass

3. Borumba

Left shows the downscan of a weedbed edge that starts at 20foot. You can also see the weededge on the right hand screen on the side scan.

4. Borumba

Here is one of the many creekbeds you can find if you use your sounder correctly. Left shows the down scan of the bed, and the right actually shos the detail edges of the bed on the far right hand side.

5. Borumba

Here is a good example that clearly displays the same piece of structure on the downs scan as well as on both the left and right hand side of the side scan.

6. Borumba

Here is a clear showing of multiple thermoclines.

I have a heap more freshwater ones so I will post a few more later on.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by - leelee on 15/11/2010 19:49:45
Go to Top of Page

SkyeWarrior
Ausbass Member

353 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  20:15:13  Show Profile Send SkyeWarrior a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Strewth Lee - if this was Facebook the 'Like' button would be getting worn out.

Nice pics and top explanation. Thanks,
Stevo
Go to Top of Page

Scales
Ausbass Member

560 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  20:40:12  Show Profile Send Scales a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guys both Ausbream and Ausbass have this style of forum, I suggest you check them both out.
Go to Top of Page

Perky
Ausbass Member

135 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  21:24:24  Show Profile Send Perky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a great thread. I have a link i want to show you guys but i will have to dig around my 300 or so bookmarks to find it. Similar sort of theme.

I don't own a boat and therefore don't own a sounder but i have always wanted to learn more about how to read them well, especially the newer ones with side scan. They still baffle me.
Go to Top of Page

Scales
Ausbass Member

560 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  21:50:25  Show Profile Send Scales a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perky no offence but we need to respect both Ausbream and Ausbass therefore please no links to others sites that revolve around a similar subject. Please do however cut and paste any pics from that site to here for discussion.

Regards

Nick
Go to Top of Page

squidders
AusBass Owner

375 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  22:14:21  Show Profile  Visit squidders's Homepage Send squidders a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Lee, awesome images and explanations.
Go to Top of Page

Perky
Ausbass Member

135 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  10:14:10  Show Profile Send Perky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem Scales i probably should have asked the rules on that first. After much searching i couldn't turn up the link anyway. The link was about a sounder image database used to map river systems.
Go to Top of Page

Scales
Ausbass Member

560 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  11:54:15  Show Profile Send Scales a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are yes I know the one, there are a few programs going around that let you overlay scanned info over the top of Google image type maps.

For those that are really interested do a google search for a program called "Dr Depth".

This is where we are headed slowly.

Nick
Go to Top of Page

leelee
Ausbass Member

134 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2010 :  00:22:21  Show Profile Send leelee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are a few more -

1. Borumba

Bait on downscan and side scan but what you see on the side scan makes things very very interesting

2. Borumba

Lungfish and a few of them

Cheers

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Fraser
Ausbass Member

577 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2010 :  23:23:26  Show Profile Send Fraser a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, my sounder doesn't have side scan imaging so I don't really know much about it.

Using Lee's example below, does this mean that the school of bait fish are sitting at about 5ft down off to the right of the boat? If so is there a way of telling how far too the right they are hanging? (Sorry if this is a stupid question, just trying to get my head around it!)

Cheers,
Mark
Go to Top of Page

Dishley
Ausbass Member

1657 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2010 :  19:20:42  Show Profile Send Dishley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's pretty sad if you can't post a helpful link just because it's on another site. It's not like we're only looking at these fishing sites and no others and the more restrictions on this site the more people will be turned away from it. After all the internet is all about freedom of information.

Just my 2 cents, other than that this is a great thread Scales, nice work mate.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic   
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AusBass Forums © 2000-2014 AusBass.com.au Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000