Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ    
 All Forums
 Bass Boats, Kayaks, Canoes & Fishing Equipment
 Fishing Tackle
 Hooks Pulling

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

Message Icon:              

Add attachment to topic
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
GRAVY Posted - 06/10/2015 : 21:21:23
Had the good fortune to hook up some very healthy bass today, however before I could get them to the landing net the hooks pulled. Wondering whether fitting heavier gauge trebles might be the solution. Am concerned this may compromise the lures swimming action.

Other suggestions I have read is to back the reel drag off, an issue when timber is involved, or to fit single hooks.

What are members thoughts.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
denman Posted - 12/11/2016 : 22:23:34
A lot of Bass are smacking the lure as a "Get away" kind of thing. Not actually biting it but hitting with the side of the head. Sometimes this can be just them protecting their territory. All my lures have the barbs flattened, but I don't get many escapes like you describe. Sometimes I think I get a better hook set when the barbs are flattened. I also use a rod length of 10-15lb leader. That may sound a bit heavy to some but it works for me. There are some big Bass in the upper Clarence.
Goodoo Posted - 25/11/2015 : 11:39:50
Interesting you say that. Introduced trout are the one fish I still use mono for, for all of these reasons.
timax Posted - 30/10/2015 : 07:51:48
Mono on a soft rod is what im about to try for the exact same problem. I bet you get lots of missed hits also ,right?
Adu Posted - 15/10/2015 : 11:15:04
Somedays you'll just drop fish Gravy. Hooks may not be in deep or whatever but if its a repeat occurrence then I tend to agree with Dirv.

I fish a pretty tight drag but a very light rod 1-3kg with 4 pound brain and 12 pound leader. If i hook a really good Bass it will still be able to pull drag pretty easy. I don't like the American style of locked drag and heavy gear to skull drag the fish along the surface to the boat and then break its jaw for the camera......

Depending on the lure, changing the hooks can completely ruin its performance. By putting heavy duty eagle claw hooks (even a small size) on a popper can make it sink for example.
GRAVY Posted - 08/10/2015 : 18:29:00
Hooks are pulling, I am using a Daiwa Pixy rod and reel which are are rated to a max of 6pd. Might have to go back to using the Heartland.
dirvin21 Posted - 07/10/2015 : 08:18:59
try a softer rod, you don't need a locked drag I fish a light drag and just use my palm to slow them down on their first lunge for the timber and once in open water I let the drag do its thing
Ziggy Posted - 06/10/2015 : 22:04:41
Are the hooks pulling or straightening?

AusBass Forums © 2000-2014 AusBass.com.au Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000