Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ    
 All Forums
 Bass Boats, Kayaks, Canoes & Fishing Equipment
 Lures
 'Upriding' hook surface flies.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

Message Icon:              

Add attachment to topic
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
shirebassa Posted - 04/03/2015 : 20:50:52
G'day guys.

I was in Compeat angler yesterday talking about weedless surface flies with one bloke working there. He mentioned a weedless surface fly with an upriding hook point. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of said fly....anyone know what I'm talking about??

I have weedless surface flies with a downward facing hook, but I'm very interested to sus out these mentioned flies.

Cheers in advance,
Adam.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
shirebassa Posted - 16/03/2015 : 15:43:13
They do look like they'd be a bit of a pain to cast. I'm not the best fly caster getting around, so I would definitely struggle! Even some of the surface flies I've bought are had to cast, for me anyway...
nutter Posted - 13/03/2015 : 18:58:29
Yeah but not fun to cast, they twist the line heaps. Still work but have found a better fly that suits my style.
shirebassa Posted - 13/03/2015 : 17:51:11
Aaahh!! Good idea,Scott! Have you had any luck with these ones? They look like they'd push a bit a water around,i like em!
nutter Posted - 11/03/2015 : 08:35:05
You can make your own by folding foam sheet over and running your thread along it to form a tube.

PatB Posted - 10/03/2015 : 19:10:26
No worries. Looking forward to your creations. Cheers Pat.
shirebassa Posted - 10/03/2015 : 16:00:38
Cheers Pat! I did read about the filler rod from Bunnings when i was researching about the Gutless frog. I stopped in and got some this mornings after work. I've tied a few up,i think they came up pretty good. I'll start up another thread and put some pics up. Thanks for all your help mate!
PatB Posted - 09/03/2015 : 18:17:44
You can get the foam in the form of "filler rod" I think it is called from Bunnings .It is a type of EVA foam I think so quite tough. From memory it's available in a couple of sizes something like 8 and 12 mm.Have a look up Morsie's Whiting Popper to see what the rod looks like. If you want to buy online Flyworld in WA are excellent .Cheers Pat
shirebassa Posted - 09/03/2015 : 17:32:53
Hey Scott! Cheers mate, I'll be happy to give them a throw and see how they do. The next time I get a chance/day off, I'll be heading out to chase some Bass. I'll let you know, either by PM here or a msg on FB. Hopefully you've fixed the hole in your yak!

Just out of curiosity, where is a decent place to buy materials for tying these type of flies? I was getting stuff from my local store, but is there somewhere online that would have this stuff? In particular that round foam that is used to make the body of the 'gutless frog'?

Cheers guys,
Adam.
nutter Posted - 08/03/2015 : 19:07:47
Cheers Pat for the mention. I also have a not photographed a new fly. It runs with the main hook facing up but it also runs two assist hooks that have a weed guard tied into them. These are tied into the legs of the fly. Hope this helps.
ShireBassa if your fishing where Im fishing than we will catchup soon and ill pass some on for you to test.
PatB Posted - 06/03/2015 : 20:37:13
You know honestly I forgot about that one !!!!! Another one I have tied (but never tried or photographed for that matter) is tied on a worm hook with a basic rectangle of foam approx. 25-30 mm x 10-12 mm wide by 3 mm thick. This is tied on the flat part of the worm hook behind the eye so that it is in line with but slightly angled upward of the hook point. You want the foam to overlap the hook point by about 5 mm so you can cut a small vee/slot so it can be pushed down with a little pressure clearing the point. I measure and cut the slot before tying in. Rubber legs tied in an X pattern will make it look a bit more buggy. I just use rubber legs from spinnerbait or octo jig skirts and like the clear with black bars. These legs are incredibly easy to tie in. I just cut a 25mm length then hold it on the side of the foam tie in point give it a couple of loose wraps then repeat on the other side. I position them right before tightening up. I like to have the foreleg slightly shorter than the hind leg say 10mm front 15mm back. A small bit of dubbing could be added under the tie in point but keep it very sparse as you don't want to have it sink. The foam needs to be reasonably stiff. The white foam from Owner treble packaging (coloured with markers)is a good choice as it is quite stiff. The challenge is to slice it evenly !!!! Cheers Pat.(the humble peasant)
penguin Posted - 06/03/2015 : 13:10:53
Some good info there boys, had a look on youtube and also found Rob Meade's "shuffler" which also looks the goods, will be buying some worm hooks and giving these a go soon.
Pat was being modest crediting Nutter's tie, searching the web also brings up the Guerrilla Bug tied by the 4wt king.
cheers
shirebassa Posted - 05/03/2015 : 20:43:29
I'm hearing ya Stevo! I've got some plastic frogs with upriding hook, they still foul up from time to time. I don't think anything will be totally weedless, but I've been fishing deep into lilys lately and they definitely work better than a downward facing hook with a wire weedguard.

Thanks again for the info Pat! I've done my research and I'll be tying up some 'Gutless frogs' as soon as I find some foam. I'm actually pretty excited to make some and give em a throw.

Cheers boys!
Adam.
SkyeWarrior Posted - 05/03/2015 : 18:45:28
quote:
Originally posted by PatB

The Gutless Frog was tied by Aussie Rob Meade so very apt for us. Cheers Pat.

Hear, hear Sir 4Wt.

Might have a play over the next couple of nights. Small point (pardon the pun) to note - point up isn't necessarily weedless
Stevo
PatB Posted - 05/03/2015 : 18:32:10
The Gutless Frog was tied by Aussie Rob Meade so very apt for us. Cheers Pat.
shirebassa Posted - 05/03/2015 : 18:28:11
Cheers for the info, Pat! I'll get searching...

AusBass Forums © 2000-2014 AusBass.com.au Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000